Dixie State University (DSU) recognizes that learners in higher education come from varied backgrounds with a wide variety of life experiences that might qualify for college course credit. At DSU, our students have multiple pathways toward receiving credit for prior learning. The list below outlines these pathways and more details are found in the DSU catalog and DSU Policy 523
- Actual college-level courses taken at DSU or transferred in from a regionally accredited institution according to articulation standards.
- International Baccalaureate (IB).
- Advanced Placement (AP).
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP).
- DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST) Credit
- BYU Foreign Language FLATS Credit.
- Vertical Foreign Language Credit.
- American Council on Education (ACE)-Evaluated Military Training Credit
- Challenging courses for credit
- Testing out of courses with no credit
- Experiential Learning Credit (See below for eligibility requirements)
Some restrictions apply to all DSU prior learning credit.
- Only matriculated DSU students are eligible to receive DSU prior learning credit.
- All credit by examination or for prior learning is graded as “Pass” rather than a letter grade.
- In compliance with accreditation standards, no more than 25% of credit by examination and prior learning can be applied toward a degree (15 credits for associate’s, 30 for bachelor’s).
- Not all DSU courses are eligible for credit by examination or prior learning.
- The Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio for experiential learning may not be used for General Education courses.